Re: LDAP authentication not working

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jürgen Fuchsberger <juergen(dot)fuchsberger(at)uni-graz(dot)at>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LDAP authentication not working
Date: 2014-05-14 10:53:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Jürgen Fuchsberger <
juergen(dot)fuchsberger(at)uni-graz(dot)at> wrote:

> On 05/14/2014 09:10 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Stephan Fabel <sfabel(at)hawaii(dot)edu
> > <mailto:sfabel(at)hawaii(dot)edu>> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think SSL support for LDAP is supported. Have you tried TLS
> > on port 389?
> >
> Thanks for the hint, no wonder it does not work. Unfortunately this info
> is not in the postgres documentation.

It is - indirectly, in the ldapurl documentation. "To use encrypted LDAP
connections, the ldaptls option has to be used in addition to ldapurl. The
ldaps URL scheme (direct SSL connection) is not supported."

But maybe it could be made more clear...

> > Correct, and you need to set ldaptls=1 to use that as well.
>
> This does not work with our LDAP server (seems it is not configured to
> support TLS)

That's strangely configured. The LDAP TLS support (in the protocol) is the
standardized one, and the "SSL wrapper" mode is not in the standard.

I *think* the "SSL wrapper" really is just that - wrap it in a standard SSL
connection. In which case it might work if you set up stunnel or something
like that to proxy the connection for you.

> Any idea whether LDAP over SSL will be supported in future postgres
> releases?

I am not aware of any such plans, but if you (or somebody else) is willing
to write a patch, I don't see a reason it would be rejected. Even though
it's non-standard, it's fairly widespread. I recall there being a reason it
wasn't added in the first place, but I don't recall what it was.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/