Re: Download navigation UX

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Download navigation UX
Date: 2020-07-07 17:56:52
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 7:50 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 2020-Jul-07, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > If you mean getting third party installers off the main download page and
> > moved into the software catalogue, then yes, of course :)
>
> Well, I meant this patch
>
> https://postgr.es/m/CAH+GA0pUz26AoyF+LazhPS02HwuBO+kPZ2wcRcOwq9u+cPPOag@mail.gmail.com
> which apparently has been waiting for this restructuring for years.
> (Oleg said there's a PostgresPro patch somewhere too, but I don't know
> where that is.)

There have been many threads and hundreds, if not thousands, of emails on
the subject over the past years.

My recollection is that the latest conclusion was exactly that -- stop
listing third party installers as part of the main download pages, put them
in the software catalogue, and put a proper link to the software catalogue
from the download pages.

And no, I don't remember exactly when that conclusion was reached.

//Magnus