Re: Commitfest app reports wrong patch as latest

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest app reports wrong patch as latest
Date: 2022-04-22 07:37:22
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 23:17 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 1:34 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Maybe so, because I just went back to the CF entry's page to
> >> close it, and now it shows the right thing.
>
> > I've noticed that http caching (I believe we use Varnish for this) is
> > often behind problems that I run into with our web based
> > infrastructure. Not that I have problems all that often, mind you.
>
> I don't think it was an http-level issue, because the page showed the
> wrong thing from inception, and reloading it didn't help. I am guessing
> it was built from a stale view of what the end-of-thread was. Anyway, the
> problem did go away eventually, so it was a cache problem somewhere.

There is no cache for the commitfest app.

There is however a cronjob that syncs info with the archives. And it's not
very forgiving to temporary network problems - if those happen it can take
some time before it manages to process the full queue of "pending
attachments".

I think the cf bot uses the cf web to find the threads, but then
independently looks them up on the archives to get the attachments.

/Magnus