Re: Security lessons from liblzma - libsystemd

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Security lessons from liblzma - libsystemd
Date: 2024-04-12 14:46:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 1:10 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
wrote:

> On 03.04.24 23:19, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > When the code is this simple, we should definitely consider carrying it
> > ourselves. At least if we don't expect to need *other* functionality
> > from the same library in the future, which I doubt we will from
> libsystemd.
>
> Well, I've long had it on my list to do some integration to log directly
> to the journal, so you can preserve metadata better. I'm not sure right
> now whether this would use libsystemd, but it's not like there is
> absolutely no other systemd-related functionality that could be added.

Ah interesting. I hadn't thought of that use-case.

> Personally, I think this proposed change is trying to close a barndoor
> after a horse has bolted. There are many more interesting and scary
> libraries in the dependency tree of "postgres", so just picking off one
> right now doesn't really accomplish anything. The next release of
> libsystemd will drop all the compression libraries as hard dependencies,
> so the issue in that sense is gone anyway. Also, fun fact: liblzma is
> also a dependency via libxml2.

To be clear, I didn't mean to single out this one, just saying that it's
something we should keep in consideration in general when adding library
dependencies. Every new dependency, no matter how small, increases the
management and risks for it. And we should just be aware of that and weigh
them against each other.

As in we should *consider* it, that doesn't' mean we should necessarily
*do* it.

(And yes, there are many scary dependencies down the tree)

--
Magnus Hagander