Re: pgsql: Doc: fill in "major enhancements" list in v13 release notes.

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Doc: fill in "major enhancements" list in v13 release notes.
Date: 2020-09-14 15:16:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-www

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 4:29 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > Given that we only have one branch that is in the state of "labeled a
> > stable branch but it's not really a stable branch yet", and only for a
> few
> > months in the year, it seems doing that manually might well be
> acceptable?
>
> There are actually two somewhat separate use-cases here:
>
> * Draft release notes for a pending major release.
> * Draft release notes for minor releases.
>
> In both cases, Bruce or I push some notes into the git tree, but there
> is noplace for potential reviewers to look at a built version of the
> notes. Reviewers must either read the raw SGML or build the docs
> themselves. The situation was better before the release notes branch
> split, because you could look at the devel version of the docs.
>
> I agree that this is not something we need to expend cycles on on any
> regular basis. Personally I'd be happy to manually push a button
> somewhere after committing a relnotes update. The real issue though
> is where does this show up on the website? Since, by definition,
> we're talking about unreleased documentation, I don't think it
> should replace the normal docs for the relevant branch.

Well the question is, does this really apply only to the release notes.
What about other changes that are made to the documentation in-between
releases?

Perhaps we actually want a complete separate docs-load, including back
branches, that just gets hidden away somewhere and smacked full of labels
that it's not a production set of documentation etc? That would then cover
both release notes and reviews of other docs backpatching.

--
Magnus Hagander