Re: Showstopper desktop runtime issue

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Showstopper desktop runtime issue
Date: 2018-03-23 10:10:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 5:38 PM, Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:28 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>>> (And don't give up on proper tabs either, but I'm sure Electron might
>>> catch up in that eventually -- and the issue around RHEL6 will also go away
>>> eventually)
>>>

>> RHEL 6 is in support until 2024, though it's already halfway through the
>> maintenance 2 phase. It's definitely going, but we really don't know how
>> many folks might still be using it in production on systems they're
>> updating and using pgAdmin on. That last bit is important; many folks will
>> continue to run production servers on RHEL/CentOS 6 for years, but how many
>> are using them for client-side stuff or actively updating things like
>> pgAdmin on them?
>>

> RHEL 6 is the #1 OS for GPDB so if we have customers installing server
> side or wanting to we'd be on this pretty quickly.
>
> As an aside, I'm interested in who and how people are using the Linux
> version. How many are using Linux on the desktop and how many are
> installing the server. My assumption is that people using the linux distro
> are installing the server but I have no actual information to base that on.

My experience is actually the opposite in a lot of cases. The server
pgadmin is used primarily by those of my customers who are using Windows --
mainly as a workaround for the fact that the performance experience of the
desktop app on Windows was horrible.

On Mac I don't think I've seen anybody choose the server version if it's a
primary tool for them (some still have a shared pgadmin for people who only
touch it at very infrequent cases, but it's not common). On Linux, I see a
mix.

--
Magnus Hagander