Re: No search results for "BETWEEN"

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: postgresql(at)wchargin(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No search results for "BETWEEN"
Date: 2022-06-24 14:49:09
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 4:40 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > Searching for "the between predicate simplifies range tests" does turn
> > up a hit for that page, so it's indexed, but the words "The BETWEEN" are
> > not set in bold in the search result. Perhaps "BETWEEN" is being treated
> > as a stop word, even though it's capitalized and an SQL keyword?
>
> A quick grep shows that if "between" weren't a stopword, it would
> produce almost 600 hits in our core docs, most of which are not what
> you're looking for. So I concur with somebody's apparent decision
> to make it a stopword.

It is a standard stopword in the snowball stemmers we ship, sadly. I don't
think we have an easy way to say "use this dictionary and it's stopwords,
except these couple of words that we want to not be stopwords"? Other than
having to maintain a separate copy of the whole file and then forgetting to
update it?

//Magnus