Re: migrations (was Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2017-11-21 20:14:19
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> writes:
> > On 11/21/2017 11:42 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> I am not sure if that is sarcasm but I think the reason is pretty self
> >> explanatory. -Hackers have all the people that understand how all this
> >> works, -general has all the people that don't.
>
> > rotfl, and ain't that the truth.
>
> I'm not sure I believe it. People reading any database-oriented mailing
> list are going to be pretty tech-savvy, I'd think.

The ones on hackers probably more so.

However, I'd personally guess more that we have significantly more "casual
users" on some of those lists, like -admin.

If you subscribe to -hackers or similar lists, you have already passed a
bar of caring pretty deeply about the postgresql project. So you're a lot
less likely to be one of the users who just blackholed emails, to have them
suddenly reappear.

For -admin you might subscribe to ask one or two questions and not really
care about the rest. You can do that for hackers too of course, but I would
guess it's a lot less likely.

--
Magnus Hagander