Re: No hits when search devel documentation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No hits when search devel documentation
Date: 2016-07-05 11:57:06
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first message to -www.
>
> When I try to search using the "Search Documentation" form on the
> website, I get no hits from
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/
>
> The same is not true for, say https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/
>
> Is that intentional (keeping devel stuff off of searched documents, that
> is)?

That looks like an unintentional side-effect of
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=commit;h=4920f460aab95063cdbf26d96e23a7a24a5e5e36

Today, the indexing for the main website is driven off the same sitemap.xml
that we feed Google. And we did at some point in the past (quite long ago)
decide we didn't want /devel/ to be included in the Google search hits.

We probably want to include them in our own, at least when you are
explicitly searching in that subsection. That will require some code
changes to make it happy with that though - we'd have to send out a
separate sitemap.xml to our own search engine.

Or is there a change in the consensus that we should not have Google return
search hits of that?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/