Re: Last few steps for pgadmin4 on RHEL 6

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Last few steps for pgadmin4 on RHEL 6
Date: 2017-03-19 13:41:10
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2017-03-17 at 09:40 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Hmm. That might be tricky. It might work if you just install it into
> > the web/ directory.
>
> If we can make sure that it works, I can rename all packages (like
> pgadmin4-
> python-crypto), edit spec files, install them under the web/ directory.
> This
> will prevent the breakage that I mentioned at the end of this email.
>
> > Is the default version actually too old?
>
> It is 2.0.1 on RHEL 6 (vs 2.6.1 on RHEL 7, which is the version that I also
> used in the PGDG updated packages), and I'm seeing 2.6.1 in the
> requirements.txt file.
>
> > It's quite possible it will work, but we just haven't tested back that
> far.
> > The version numbers in requirements.txt are really just what we know
> works,
> > rather than what actually will in many cases.
>
> Just a FYI -- this is the list of the packages that I either added to RHEL
> 6
> (via PGDG repo, not EPEL), or updated to a new version:
>
> python-beautifulsoup4
> python-blinker
> python-crypto
> python-dateutil
> python-fixtures
> python-flask
> python-flask-babel
> python-flask-gravatar
> python-flask-htmlmin
> python-flask-login
> python-flask-mail
> python-flask-principal
> python-flask-security
> python-flask-sqlalchemy
> python-flask-wtf
> python-html5lib
> python-htmlmin
> python-importlib
> python-itsdangerous
> python-jinja2
> python-markupsafe
> python-mimeparse
> python-passlib
> python-pbr
> python-pyrsistent
> python-simplejson
> python-speaklater
> python-sqlalchemy
> python-sqlparse
> python-werkzeug
> python-wsgiref
> python-wtforms
>
> At this point, I'm seriously considering to invent another sub-repo, at
> least
> to host these python dependencies, if installing under web/ won't work. The
> Python packages are purely static, and won't be updated frequently enough.
> We
> can host the main pgadmin4 package in our repo, but then it will be users'
> responsibility to install the dependencies by using our repo, which may
> break
> their systems (or not, no idea)

Yikes. Yeah you definitely do *not* want to have new versions of all those
packages show up on peoples systems by default, that'll break a whole lot
of things.

I don't think keeping them in a separate repository is really going to work
either -- it will still cause the breakage for anybody who wants to use
pgadmin4.

The reasonable thing would be to install them locally in the pgadmin4
package (or in a pgadmin4-dependencies or whatever you want to call it), in
a way that they are not used by any other software on the system. If that's
not possible, I think you're just going to have to declare RHEL6 as
unsupported for it. But surely most or all of that can run inside a
virtualenv together with the pgadmin code, so I would be surprised if they
cannot be installed locally.

Finally, I think you need to be careful about calling them "purely static".
Several of those will need to be monitored for security updates and new
versions pushed when those show up, if you end up bundling them. Especially
important if pgadmin4 is used in server mode, but there's definitely things
in there that would be critical to make sure they're updated for desktop
mode as well.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/