Re: pgarchive's search frontend

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Célestin Matte <celestin(dot)matte(at)cmatte(dot)me>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgarchive's search frontend
Date: 2023-08-02 06:46:41
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023, 11:55 Célestin Matte <celestin(dot)matte(at)cmatte(dot)me> wrote:

> I deployed pgarchives and pglister using a custom application for the auth
> system.
> Now we just noticed that the search function did not work because the
> frontend is deported to pgweb, and pgarchives only provides a json API.
> What is the rationale behind this? Would it make sense to move the
> frontend to pgarchives and send a patch here?

The rationale behind it is simply that it makes it possible to make a
better experience for the user of the pgweb site. (and it used to be even
worse from this perspective - pgweb used to open a postgres connection
directly into the archives db and query it). So I don't think we want to
move that.

That's not a reason to not also have an interface for it in the archives
code itself. It just needs to be made configurable in a way that would
allow both use cases.

/Magnus