Re: Wiki "editor" privileges request

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Charles Clavadetscher <clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Goldberg <mic(dot)goldberg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Wiki "editor" privileges request
Date: 2016-12-28 14:11:54
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Charles Clavadetscher <
clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org> wrote:

> Hello
>
> > Not easily. It would certainly be *possible*, but you'd have to verify
> > that every possible "downstream" consumer of it supports changing it and
> > then actually implement it. This include both our own home-built systems
> > (which would probably be "most doable" since they are off the same
> > blueprints, but depending on exactly where else they store the username
> > it could cause a lot of issues) and things like our redmine installation.
> >
> > UPDATE:ing the primary key in a distributed system has non-trivial
> > implications...
>
> What is the issue with redmine?

I'm not sure there is one, I haven't investigated. Perhaps they do have an
API that supports renaming accounts?

Of course you also need some level of recovery or replay of the changes in
case a system is temporarily offline when you change it etc.

> Maybe it would help to include some information about allowed characters
> for the community account name on
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/account/signup/
>
> Just to avoid, at least, problems that are caused by special characters
> like "@" in a mail address, as was here the case. It can happen easier
> that somebody gets to the idea to use their mail address instead of a
> nickname, because many internet sites force them to do so.
>
> Just an idea, although as I mentioned before, this does not really seem
> to be an issue coming up every second day.

We could remove the support for using the email address again. But ee did
have a fair number of users who complained that they couldn't use their
email address as the userid back before we supported it. And I think it's
only mediawiki that's incapable of handling it, so for any user that
doesn't want to edit the wiki it's a regression...

At one point I was really hoping mediawiki would fix it, but given the
state of it I've stopped expecting them to fix anything at all, let alone
something like this.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/