Re: Securing "make check" (CVE-2014-0067)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Securing "make check" (CVE-2014-0067)
Date: 2014-03-01 18:20:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 03/01/2014 12:29 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>> In the case of Unix systems, there is a *far* simpler and more portable
>> solution technique, which is to tell the test postmaster to put its socket
>> in some non-world-accessible directory created by the test scaffolding.
>>

> +1 - I'm all for KISS.
>

>> Of course that doesn't work for Windows, which is why we looked at the
>> random-password solution. But I wonder whether we shouldn't use the
>> nonstandard-socket-location approach everywhere else, and only use random
>> passwords on Windows. That would greatly reduce the number of cases to
>> worry about for portability of the password-generation code; and perhaps
>> we could also push the crypto issue into reliance on some Windows-supplied
>> functionality (though I'm just speculating about that part).
>>

> See for example <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/
> aa379942%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>

For a one-off password used locally only, we could also consider just using
a guid, and generate it using
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa379205(v=vs.85).aspx.
Obviously windows only though - do we have *any* Unix platforms that can't
do unix sockets?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/