Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: El Capitan Removes OpenSSL Headers
Date: 2015-12-01 20:19:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> PostgreSQL use Secure Transport, right?
>
> >> This is going to put a bit more urgency into the project Heikki had been
> >> working on to allow use of more than one SSL implementation. I can't
> >> really see us back-porting that, though, which is going to leave things
> >> in a fairly nasty place for all pre-9.6 branches ...
>
> > I think it'd be great to finish that project, but having to use
> > MacPorts to install the headers isn't really a big deal, is it?
>
> Well, you'd have to use MacPorts' version of the openssl libraries,
> too, since there'd be no certainty that their headers match the
> Apple-provided libraries (in fact, I'd bet a lot that they don't).
> This would be a pain if you wanted to put your compiled PG executables
> on some other Mac.

Presumably the folks who build Postgres.app and the EDB installers will
take care of that for the big majority of people though, won't they?

I agree it's something we should fix, but I'm not sure it's that urgent.
It's no different from what Windows people have been dealing with all
along, is it? And while it affects pg developers, I doubt it'll hit that
many users?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/