Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions
Date: 2018-05-03 18:43:03
Lists: pgsql-www

Thu, May 3, 2018 at 8:11 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > It is definitely getting tiresome. I'm not sure why moderators keep
> > *approving* all of these things though -- they're all being put in the
> > moderation queue specifically to make sure only reasonable ones are
> > approved, but it seems some moderators keep approving all of them....
>
> I think it's rude to reject a mailing list message on grounds such as
> comments being submitted to an old version. Also, if the comment

applies to new versions, then the moderator is at fault, and there is no
> trail or mechanism to put the comment back. In other words, determining
> the value of the comment is on the moderator's head. I'd rather have
> the moderators approve the comments, and have the list readership
> determine that the comment is of no value publicly (that way, if someone
> else disagrees, they can challenge it on-list.)

That I agree with, if that's the reason. But there's plenty that have been
more or less content-less that have been approved, and I don't think those
should've been.

I mean:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/152273272513.1433.16677492851065826081%40wrigleys.postgresql.org

or even:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/152524500200.31689.10330412450106010735%40wrigleys.postgresql.org

> > > - Disable the link for submitting documentation comments on EOL
> versions.
> >
> > I actually thought we had done that, but it seems not. That should be an
> > easy enough fix.
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> > > - Display them in faint grey text color or otherwise make them annoying
> > > to read.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the <blink> tag has been removed from browsers..
>
> When visiting a Facebook page (without logged in to an account), it
> keeps pestering you to open your own account. I'm fortunate I don't
> visit pages often, because it's *really* annoying. Something similar
> could be applied here, perhaps ... I hope facebook doesn't have a
> patent on obnoxious layers obscuring the bottom half of the page when
> not logged in.

Those pages also completely don't work at all without javascript. I
definitely don't want to go *there*.

--
Magnus Hagander