Re: pg_rewind - restore new slave failed to startup during recovery

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dylan Luong <Dylan(dot)Luong(at)unisa(dot)edu(dot)au>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind - restore new slave failed to startup during recovery
Date: 2017-08-22 14:39:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Dylan Luong <Dylan(dot)Luong(at)unisa(dot)edu(dot)au>
> wrote:
> > 1. Disable the master ltm member (all connections redired to slave
> > member)
> > 2. Promote slave (touch promote.me)
> > 3. Stop the master db (old master)
> > 4. Do pg_rewind on the new slave (old master)
> > 5. Start the new slave.
>
> That flow looks correct to me. No I think that you should trigger
> manually a checkpoint after step 2 on the promoted standby so as its
> control file gets forcibly updated correctly with its new timeline
> number. This is a small but critical point people usually miss. The
> documentation of pg_rewind does not mention this point when using a
> live source server, and many people have fallen into this trap up to
> now... We should really mention that in the docs. What do others
> think?

If the documentation is missing such a clearly critical step, then I would
say that's a definite documentation bug and it needs to be fixed. We can't
really fault people for missing a small detail if we didn't document the
small detail...

--
Magnus Hagander