Re: Changing email address subscribed to a list

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Ray O'Donnell" <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing email address subscribed to a list
Date: 2020-04-15 10:06:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:38 AM Ray O'Donnell <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Apologies if this is the wrong list for this query.
>
> Short version: I'd like to unsubscribe my old, now-defunct email address
> (rod(at)iol(dot)ie) from the regional(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org mailing list, and
> resubscribe with this one (ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie). However, I can't seem to
> do it through the list manager at lists.postgresql.org.
>
> Longer version: I'm trying to change the email address I use to
> subscribe to press-regional(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org - the one currently
> subscribed to it (rod(at)iol(dot)ie) is no longer active. However, I'm caught
> in a catch-22, because (i) I can't manually unsubscribe from that
> particular list in the list manager (I get a message saying that its
> membership is automatically managed), and (ii) I can't subscribe to it
> with a different address; the mailing list isn't listed in the
> "Subscribe" drop-down (presumably because I'm already subscribed with
> the obsolete address?).

You need to contact the manager of the list (<listname>-
owner(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org) for them to help you with it.

Also notice that you are publishing DMARC policies on rodonnel.ie that
prohibit you from posting to mailinglists, which means most of the email
you send from that address will end up in peoples spam boxes. I *think*
the problem is you are DKIM-signing the fact that there are no list headers
-- thus the mailinglists adding list headers prevents it from being
redistributed. This will of course also make it harder for you to see your
questions (I only noticed this one in my spam folder because of the large
number of spam reports we got as a result of you posting). Bottom line is
you should not post to a mailinglist from an address that explicitly
forbids usage by mailinglists.

--
Magnus Hagander