Re: Problem with archives -- mail gets lost

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with archives -- mail gets lost
Date: 2015-12-13 16:31:11
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Peter Geoghegan <
peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > That link works fine for me.
> >
> > Is there any chance that you actually tried navigating to that link
> *before*
> > the mail actually showed up on the list in your second page? It's normal
> > with a short delay (usually seconds) after the email gets to majordomo
> > before it's in the archives. At that point it should not be visible on
> > either of those two links, but if you hit the first link it would cache
> the
> > 404 response for a while. Once the email arrived, the second link would
> be
> > refreshed but not the first once (since at the time you got to the first
> > link initially, we did not know which thread to expire, as we had not
> seen
> > the mail yet).
> >
> > Could that be the explanation?
>
> Yes, it could be. It was not seconds, but it was certainly minutes.
> And yes, the link works now, although I still saw a 404 well after an
> hour of the post being sent.
>
> The thing about this series of actions is that it's kind of natural.
> For example, if I post a new patch into the commitfest app, I still
> paste in the message-id. I probably also click the link quickly, out
> of habit. This is the first time I've seen this problem, though.

Apologies for the long delay in dealing with this.

I've just deployed a config change that will cache a 404 response to a
missing mail for 1 minute instead of 4 hours. That means if you get the 404
when you do what you explained above, just wait a max of 1 minute and it
should show up.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/