Re: SSPI auth and mixed case usernames

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Niels Jespersen <NJN(at)dst(dot)dk>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSPI auth and mixed case usernames
Date: 2019-08-30 13:03:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 3:00 PM Niels Jespersen <NJN(at)dst(dot)dk> wrote:

> Hello Magnus
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> I’m not sure I understand your last statement. I want to achieve that
> regardless of the case of the entered username is logged into the same
> Postgres user (whose name is created in all lowercase).
>
> In other words, Windows usernames one day entered as XYz, the next day
> entered as xYz, should logon to Postgres user xyz.

Right. The client application needs to enforce that the usernamed passed to
PostgreSQL is lowercased before it tries to connect. The only thing
pg_ident mapping does is make sure that it actually works when the client
application does this, but it's the client that has to do it.

For example, if using psql you can't say "psql -h myserver.domain.com -d
mydatabase", you have to explicitly say "psql -h myserver.domain.com -d
mydatabase -U mylowercaseusername"

//Magnus