Re: Russian translation publication

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Law <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Russian translation publication
Date: 2013-03-05 15:37:07
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mar 5, 2013 4:09 PM, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Alexander Law escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have translated into Russian first two parts of the PostgreSQL
> > documentation and want to publish my work.
> > Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will
> > contain my translation?
> > Can I make it paid?
> > Should I add some special notices to the doc?
>
> The manuals are BSD-licensed, just like the source code is. You can do
> anything you want with it; selling a translation is certainly an option
> and has been done before. I don't think you are required to add notices
> (but you're free to do so if you wish). IANAL.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it says. We would of course always
appreciate a link back.

We've had others who've actually paid us a royalty on their sales, but
that's been purely voluntary.

Note that as long as it's paid for its not going to get linked from the pg
websites of course.

> > If you're interested in it, I can send you my translation.
> > When the translation will be completed I would be happy to see it as
> > existing official Japan and French manuals.
>
> That sounds great.

+1,that would be excellent.

/Magnus