Re: pg_stat_replication log positions vs base backups

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_replication log positions vs base backups
Date: 2015-12-13 16:01:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 6:07 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Michael Paquier <
> michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > wrote:

> not
> course -
> explicitly
> value
> >>
> >> No objections from here. I guess you already have a patch?
> >
> > Well, no, because I haven't figured out which way is the logical one -
> make
> > them all return NULL or make them all return 0/0...
>
> It seems to me that NULL is the logical one. We want to define a value
> from the user prospective where things are in an undefined state.
> That's my logic flow, other opinions are of course welcome.

I've applied these two patches now.

The one that fixes the initialization backpatched to 9.3 which is the
oldest one that has it, and the one that changes the actual 0-vs-NULL
output to 9.5 only as it's a behaviour change.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/