Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation
Date: 2019-11-21 13:05:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 1:46 PM stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com> wrote:

> I am trying to set up to do some work with pg_dump, and I would like to be
> able to connect from my normal user to do this. This is on a Ubunt 18.04
> installation. I have added the follwing to pg_hba.conf:
>
> host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5
> hostssl all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5
>
> But when I try to login like this:
>
> psql stan postgres -W
>
> I get the following error, and yes, I set postgres'es password to something
> I know:
>
> tan(at)stantest:~$ psql stan postgres -W
> Password:
> psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL: Peer authentication
> failed for user "postgres"
> stan(at)stantest:~$
>
> What am I doing wrong?

By default, Debian has a row in pg_hba.conf that enforces peer specifically
for the postgres superuser when connecting over unix sockets (which is a
very good thing from a security perspective). You will have to find that
row further up in the file and comment it out (since the first row that
matches will be used).

//Magnus