Re: Upgrading hot standbys

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Aaron Burnett <Aaron(dot)Burnett(at)us(dot)dunnhumby(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org' (pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading hot standbys
Date: 2015-04-29 11:13:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Aaron Burnett <
Aaron(dot)Burnett(at)us(dot)dunnhumby(dot)com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> I'm in the process of upgrading PG 9.1.3 to 9.4.1 in the near future.
>

> I have several machines which each house unique databases. Each of those
> are replicated to a standby server with matching configurations. A total of
> 10 servers, 5 masters, 5 slaves. Everything runs on Ubuntu.
>

> My question, as I can't seem to find any documentation on this part, is
> once I successfully upgrade the master I will need to upgrade the standby
> as well. Will I have to rebuild the standby from scratch, or will the
> standby pick up where it was before the upgrade if I do things correctly?

You upgrade the master, and then you rebuild the standbys from a new
basebackup (using pg_basebackup or manually with start/stop backups etc).
You can't upgrade the standbys and have them re-join the master, they have
to be redone from scratch.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/