Re: How to observe plan_cache_mode transition from custom to generic plan?

From: Richard Michael <rmichael(at)edgeofthenet(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to observe plan_cache_mode transition from custom to generic plan?
Date: 2021-09-09 16:09:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Tom,

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 6:02 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Richard Michael <rmichael(at)edgeofthenet(dot)org> writes:
> > After reading Laurenz's reply, I experimented again with `PREPARE
> > basic(int) AS SELECT $1 AS number;" and the query plan logged in the log
> > file (by auto_explain) does indeed show "Output: $1" on the sixth EXPLAIN
> > EXECUTE! Sorry I missed this earlier. (The EXPLAIN EXECUTE output
> itself
> > does not contain an "Output:" line, so I didn't notice this lack of
> > parameter substitution in psql.)
>
> I think EXPLAIN VERBOSE would add that bit of detail.

Indeed it does! I literally just now experimented with this and was
returning to the ML reply to myself to avoid wasting more of anyone's time.

Would a tiny patch to the PREPARE docs be accepted? I'd like to help
clarify investigating `plan_cache_mode` for future readers.

Thanks for replying, regards,
Richard