Re: Too many range table entries error

From: Akshaya Acharya <akshaya(dot)acharya(dot)01(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: andres(at)anarazel(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too many range table entries error
Date: 2018-06-25 08:16:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 13:40, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2018-06-25 13:02:37 +0530, Akshaya Acharya wrote:
> > Hello.
> >

> > Please could you help debug the error "too many range table entries”?
> >

> > This error occurs when querying a view that is dependent on many other
> > views (i.e. a view high up in the pyramid of views that we've
> constructed).
> >

> > I get this error when running select * on the view, or when running an
> > explain analyse on the select.
> >

> > Views that use a total of more than around 40000 table references (in the
> > complete tree considering all the dependent views recursively) don't
> work,
> > but it works with 20000 table references. What is the maximum number of
> > table references possible?
>
> Why are you doing this? I can't imagine queries with that many table
> references ever being something useful? I'm pretty sure there's better
> solutions for what you're doing.

Our entire application—all our business logic—is built as layers of views
inside the database. The ref counts sort of multiple at each layer, hence
the large number.

> > Can I increase this number somehow?
>
> It's not impossible, it's not entirely trivial either. The relevant
> variables currently are 16bit wide, and the limit is close to the max
> for that.

I understand.

At slide 25 of this presentation a patch is indicated. Is this relevant to
our situation?
https://www.slideshare.net/hansjurgenschonig/postgresql-joining-1-million-tables

Alternatively we will have to optimize our views or change the architecture
of our application? Is there any other way to resolve this situation?