pg_receivexlog 9.2 client working with 9.1 server?

From: Dan Birken <birken(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_receivexlog 9.2 client working with 9.1 server?
Date: 2013-05-24 23:42:54
Lists: pgsql-general

I am running a pg_receivexlog 9.2 client against a 9.1 server. It seems to
work. Comments in the code seem to indicate that this setup is workable.

However, pg_receivexlog is not part of the 9.1 source tree nor the rpm
package (as far as I see), so I am curious if there is some caveat that I
sure be aware of, or some other incompatibility that makes this setup not
work.

The goal is to have PITR using a combination of pg_basebackup (which is
part of 9.1) and pg_receivexlog.

Thanks,
Dan