Confusing long option in pg_receivexlog/basebackup/dumpall

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Confusing long option in pg_receivexlog/basebackup/dumpall
Date: 2013-05-02 05:43:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi All,

While looking at the help message of pg_basebackup, I got a bit confused by
it. It looks something like this:

Connection options:
-d, --dbname=CONNSTR connection string

So the long option says "--dbname" which is not really what its expecting.
The same issue also applies to pg_receivexlog and pg_dumpall. I wonder if
this is a well thought out user API or just an oversight when we chose to
use "-d" to pass connection string to the command, In fact, I would have
avoided using either -d or --dbname because they are used very frequently
in other commands to mean something else.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee