Re: How to reduce IOWAIT and CPU idle time?

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Samir Magar <samirmagar8(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to reduce IOWAIT and CPU idle time?
Date: 2016-09-11 07:40:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Samir Magar <samirmagar8(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> My Application has normally 25 to 30 connections and it is doing lot of
> insert/update/delete operation.
> The database size is 100GB.
> iowait is at 40% to 45 % and CPU idle time is at 45% to 50%
> TOTAL RAM = 8 GB TOTAL CPU = 4
>
> postgresql.conf parametre:
>

> autovacuum = off

That could be the source of your problem. Why autovacuum is turned off? Has
database grown from 5GB to 100GB because of bloat or so much new data has
been inserted? If it's a bloat, vacuum may not now be enough to recover
from that and you would need a vacuum full. In general, it's not a good
idea to turn autovacuum off.

Thanks,
Pavan

--