Re: Composite Indexes with a function and a column

From: Alex Pires de Camargo <acamargo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christian Hammers <ch(at)lathspell(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Composite Indexes with a function and a column
Date: 2012-12-21 12:31:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks a lot!

From documentation:

"
IMMUTABLE indicates that the function cannot modify the database and always
returns the same result when given the same argument values; that is, it
does not do database lookups or otherwise use information not directly
present in its argument list. If this option is given, any call of the
function with all-constant arguments can be immediately replaced with the
function value.
"

I understand that to be immutable a function should not access mutable data.

If my function access another table that I have guarantee that it will not
be changed, It's safe to turn that function immutable and use in an index?
I know that i'll be punished if my guarantee fails...

Regards,

--
Alex
acamargo(at)gmail(dot)com