Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data

From: Jon Theil Nielsen <jontheil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data
Date: 2013-09-16 21:45:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > First, it started to complain about the role "root" did not
> > exist. I don't think I have created anything that should refer to
> > "root". Even though it's a potentially dangerous thing to do, I
> > created the role. After that, the error message was that the
> > "root" database did not exist. So I just created an empty
> > database called "root". Then the server complained about loosing
> > connection to a client.
>
> To maximize your chances of getting suggestions which are most
> helpful, it is better to copy and paste the specific error messages
> with details about what led up to each error.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems
>
> --
> Kevin Grittner
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Sure, I know that. It's a bit difficult though since a have used some
commands that I can't really find in the history. But I'll give it a try.

First error message:
"postgres[15928]: [29993-1] FATAL: role "root" does not exist"

Created user "root" with a command like "createuser -sdrP root" (not
absolutely sure).

After restart, I got the error message:
"FATAL: database "root" does not exist"

Then, from the webmin interface, I created an empty database called "root"
owned by user "root" using no template.

After restart, I now got the error message:
"FATAL: connection to client lost".

I don't know if this information is of any use in this context. Of course I
can provide the content of some of my configuration files. I just don't
know what to look for.

Regards,
Jon