Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data

From: Jon Theil Nielsen <jontheil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data
Date: 2013-09-16 18:10:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi list,

Even though I have had PostgreSQL for years, I think I am in fact a true
novice. :-)

I have installed postgresql-server-9.2.4 on FreeBSD 9.1-Release.
A couple of month ago, I had a break-down of my server and since then, I
have had problems with a lot of things. But at least I can see that pgsql
is not configured correctly.

First, it started to complain about the role "root" did not exist. I don't
think I have created anything that should refer to "root". Even though it's
a potentially dangerous thing to do, I created the role. After that, the
error message was that the "root" database did not exist. So I just created
an empty database called "root". Then the server complained about loosing
connection to a client.

I think that the best solution would be to reinstall pgsql. But it would be
very inconvenient to loose at least one of the databases (I use it as part
of at calendar server). Can I reinstall following a tutorial like this
one<http://jasonk2600.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/installing-postgresql-on-freebsd/>and
get the vital databases back?

PS
I am not completely sure that pgsql is my only problem. I am using
davical<http://www.davical.org/installation.php>as a CalDAV server
which can/could be accessed from both Thunderbird and an
iPhone.

Regards,
Jon Theil Nielsen