Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data

From: Jon Theil Nielsen <jontheil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data
Date: 2013-09-16 22:46:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > First error message:
>
> > "postgres[15928]: [29993-1] FATAL: role "root" does not exist"
>
> When doing what? Starting the cluster? If so, what else is
> showing in the log at startup?
>
> > Created user "root" with a command like "createuser -sdrP root"
> > (not absolutely sure).
> >
> > After restart, I got the error message:
> > "FATAL: database "root" does not exist"
>
> Same questoins as above.
>
> > Then, from the webmin interface, I created an empty database
> > called "root" owned by user "root" using no template.
> >
> > After restart, I now got the error message:
> > "FATAL: connection to client lost".
> >

> > I don't know if this information is of any use in this context.
> > Of course I can provide the content of some of my configuration
> > files. I just don't know what to look for.
>
> It would be great if you could provide all non-comment lines in the
> postgresql.conf file (stripped of any comments, for readability).
>
> Also, exactly how are you starting (or restarting) the cluster? It
> does seem as though it might be starting under the root OS login,
> which is a bad idea. A service script, when run by root, should
> switch to a different user before starting PostgreSQL.
>
> --
> Kevin Grittner
>
> The server is started by a service script (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql
start) and runs as the user "pgsql".

Uncommented content of postgresql.conf:
*listen_addresses = '*'*
*port = 5432*
*shared_buffers = 32MB*
*log_destination = 'syslog'logging_collector = on*
*log_directory = 'pg_log'*
*log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log'
*
*log_file_mode = 0600
*
*log_rotation_age = 1d
*
*log_rotation_size = 0
*
*syslog_facility = 'LOCAL5'*
*syslog_ident = 'postgres'*
*client_min_messages = debug5
*
*log_min_messages = debug5
*
*log_min_error_statement = debug5
*
*log_min_duration_statement = 0
*
*debug_pretty_print = on
*
*log_connections = on*
*log_disconnections = on*
*log_duration = off*
*log_error_verbosity = default*
*log_hostname = on*
*log_statement = 'mod'*
*#log_temp_files = -1*
*log_timezone = 'Europe/Copenhagen'
*
*update_process_title = off
*
*datestyle = 'iso, mdy'
*
*timezone = 'Europe/Copenhagen'
*
*lc_messages = 'C'*
*lc_monetary = 'C'
*
*lc_numeric = 'C' *
*lc_time = 'C'*
*default_text_search_config = 'pg_catalog.english'
*

Regards,
Jon