Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data

From: Jon Theil Nielsen <jontheil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data
Date: 2013-09-17 09:38:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

> First error message:

> > "postgres[15928]: [29993-1] FATAL: role "root" does not exist"
> >
> > Created user "root" with a command like "createuser -sdrP root" (not
> absolutely sure).
> >
> > After restart, I got the error message:
> > "FATAL: database "root" does not exist"
> >
> > Then, from the webmin interface, I created an empty database called
> "root" owned by user "root" using
> > no template.
>
> That looks like you are OS user "root" and type "psql" on the command line.
> By default PostgreSQL will try to use the OS user name for database user
> and
> database.
>
> A wild guess: could it be that you mean to call "psql"
> as OS user "pgsql" and not as "root"?
>
> > After restart, I now got the error message:
> > "FATAL: connection to client lost".
>
> Ok, that seems to be a different problem.
>
> Are there any odd things in the database log?
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Thanks for your answer!

As stated earlier, I am a true novice when it comes to postgresql. So it is
not very often I run anything manually from a prompt. The server itself
start at boot time and run as the correct user. I *think* I always use "su
pgsql" if I want to do something from the prompt.

I am not sure if there is any clues in the log. And I am not sure if I have
the optimal log settings. But I will have a look and report back.

Regards, Jon