Re: Invoking a function within a batch statement

From: Evan Meagher <evan(dot)meagher(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: rob stone <floriparob(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Vitalii Tymchyshyn <vit(at)tym(dot)im>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, stevenschlansker(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Invoking a function within a batch statement
Date: 2016-08-17 15:55:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that the `{call ...}`
syntax in JDBC only applied to stored procedures, so that's good to know
regarding functions that return refcursors. However, as Example 6.2 on that
page <https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/94/callproc.html>
illustrates, one must use SELECT to invoke functions that return SETOF
results.

In my use case, the function boils down to the invocation of an INSERT
statement, so there is no result. And more generally, it seems to me that
JDBC should support the batch SETOF-returning function use case. That is to
say, JDBC probably shouldn't reject non-none results as it currently seems
to be.

--
Evan Meagher