Misunderstanding deadlocks

From: snacktime <snacktime(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Misunderstanding deadlocks
Date: 2014-10-16 17:02:08
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm confused about how deadlock detection and breaking deadlocks works.
Googling around it seems that the server should be detecting deadlocks and
aborting one of the queries.

But I'm getting occasional deadlocks that literally hang forever. I'm
assuming they are deadlocks because they show up when running the queries I
got from this url:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring

I'm running postgres 9.3 on ubuntu, configuration is the default.

Chris