Cluster forcefully removal without user input

From: Zaid Shabbir <zaidshabbir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cluster forcefully removal without user input
Date: 2024-05-31 02:48:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I have installed PostgreSQL 15 and PostgreSQL 14 side by side and want to
upgrade from 14 to 15. For upgrading purposes, I am using {postgresql-15-setup
check_upgrade}. However, in my case, the installed 14 version is not
compatible with the latest 15.7.

After the installation and cluster initialization of PostgreSQL 14 and 15,
when I run the following command {postgresql-15-setup check_upgrade}, it
returns the following message:
"Performing upgrade check: Upgrade failed. Removing the new cluster. Please
re-initdb the new cluster. failed "

After the failure the postgresql15 cluster removed forcefully due to the
following code written in postgresql-15-setup script file

{
if [ $script_result -eq 0 ]; then
echo $"OK"
else
# Clean up after failure
echo "Upgrade failed. Removing the new cluster. Please re-initdb
the new cluster."

* rm -rf "$PGDATA"* echo $"failed"
fi
}

My concern here is whether forcefully deleting the user cluster without
obtaining permission from the user is the right approach.

Regards,
Zaid Shabbir
AGEDB