logging or debugging to report time to establish a database connection

From: Mike Broers <mbroers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: logging or debugging to report time to establish a database connection
Date: 2013-07-12 15:00:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

I was recently asked how long it takes for postgres (or in my case
pgbouncer) to create a database connection and could not find a way within
postgres logging or psql to report this information.

I came across depesz's great article on pgbouncer utilizing tcpdump:
http://www.depesz.com/2012/12/02/what-is-the-point-of-bouncing/ but Im not
familiar with tcpdump and was hoping there was a way to see this using
postgres tools.

Is there something I am overlooking in postgres logging or psql client
switches that would make this information available or am I stuck with
lower level tools?