Re: postgres-fdw questions

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Emmanuel Medernach <medernac(at)clermont(dot)in2p3(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: postgres-fdw questions
Date: 2014-01-24 15:11:20
Lists: pgsql-general

2014/1/24 Emmanuel Medernach <medernac(at)clermont(dot)in2p3(dot)fr>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently testing postgres_fdw feature on PostgreSQL 9.3.2 and I have
> some questions:
>
> - What are the limits to the number of foreign tables ?

As far as I know, there is no limit (beyond the usual PostgreSQL limits).

> - What is the current status about foreign joins push-down ?

Unless I'm mistaken (and no doubt someone will correct me if I am),
joins cannot be pushed down yet, only WHERE clauses for individual foreign
table rows.

To quote this article about PostgreSQL 9.3: http://lwn.net/Articles/550418/
'More work needs to be done in this area to make this a full "big data"
solution, however; Hanada hopes to add "push down" of joins, sorts,
and aggregates in future versions of PostgreSQL."

See also this thread:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20131121150515.GC23976@momjian.us

Regards

Ian Barwick