Re: Low priority batch insert

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jean Baro <jfbaro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Low priority batch insert
Date: 2017-10-19 22:54:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Jean Baro <jfbaro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> That's my first question in this mailing list! :)

Welcome!

> Is it possible (node.js connecting to PG 9.6 on RDS) to set a lower priority
> to a connection so that that particular process (BATCH INSERT) would have a
> low impact on other running processes on PG, like live queries and single
> inserts/updates?
>
> Is that a good idea? Is this feasible with Node.js + PG?

The server could be changed so as backend processes use setpriority
and getpriority using a GUC parameter, and you could leverage priority
of processes using that. The good news is that this can be done as a
module, see an example from Fujii Masao's pg_cheat_funcs that caught
my attention actually yesterday:
https://github.com/MasaoFujii/pg_cheat_funcs/commit/a39ec1549e2af72bf101da5075c4e12d079f7c5b
The bad news is that you are on RDS, so vendor locking is preventing
you from loading any custom modules.
--
Michael