Re: synch streaming replication question

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Wiencek <jwiencek3(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: synch streaming replication question
Date: 2016-02-23 02:09:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 6:43 AM, John Wiencek <jwiencek3(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:

> I have a three node cluster using streaming replication configured as
> follows:
> One synch node and one asynch node.
> If my synch node is down the master node is hung until that node is brought
> back on line.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. Is this the expected action on my master? It makes sense if it is since
> the master is waiting for an ack from the synch node.

Yes, when synchronous_commit = on, the default values that you should
have, the master will wait from standby the confirmation that the WAL
record for the commit has been flushed;
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-replication.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-REPLICATION-MASTER

> 2. Is there anyway to configure my cluster so I have a synch node but not
> have my master node “HANG” if the synch node is down?

You can do that at transaction level for example by disabling
synchronous_commit.
Regards,
--
Michael