Re: Replication slot and pg_rewind

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bhattacharyya, Subhro" <s(dot)bhattacharyya(at)sap(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication slot and pg_rewind
Date: 2017-06-06 05:04:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Bhattacharyya, Subhro
<s(dot)bhattacharyya(at)sap(dot)com> wrote:
> Our expectation is that slave will be able to sync with the new master with the help of whatever WALs are present in the new master due to replication slots.
> Can pg_rewind still work without WAL archiving in this scenario.

I see. Yes, the slot on the old primary would keep retaining WAL, and
the promoted standby would stop sending feedback once it has switched
to a new timeline so that should work. Don't forget to drop the drop
on the old primary after pg_rewind has been run, you don't want to
bloat its pg_xlog with useless data.
--
Michael