Re: Let's use libpq for everything

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Let's use libpq for everything
Date: 2014-12-10 05:57:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
wrote:
>> 6) I am getting many regression failures after applying this patch and
>> running the tests on OSX, please see attached.
>

> Attached is a new version [1], with a lot of small fixes here and there.
It
> passes all the regression tests for me. Can you try again with this
version?
> If it's still failing on OS X, will need to investigate.

With this version regression tests are passing on all my OSX/Linux dev
machines. At least I do not see failures directly related to it.

Few comments:
1) Here an error message would be nice:
+ /*
+ * XXX: we don't check the result here. Should we? We're
rolling back,
+ * so it's not clear what else we can do on error. Giving
an error
+ * message to the application would be nice though.
+ */
+ if (pgres != NULL)
+ {
+ PQclear(pgres);
+ pgres = NULL;
+ }
2) Is this planned to be updated after this patch?
+
+ /*
+ * Update our copy of the transaction status.
+ *
+ * XXX: Once we stop using the socket directly, and do everything
with
+ * libpq, we can get rid of the transaction_status field altogether
+ * and always ask libpq for it.
+ */
+ LIBPQ_update_transaction_status(self);
3) Did you do some performance tests here?
+ /*
+ * XXX: We need to do Prepare + Describe as two different
round-trips
+ * to the server, while without libpq we send a Parse and Describe
+ * message followed by a single Sync.
+ */

Except that this looks good, and numbers speak by themselves:
$ git diff master --stat | tail -n1

Regards,
--
Michael