Re: pg_dump crashing

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthias Schmitt <matthias(dot)schmitt(at)mmp(dot)lu>
Subject: Re: pg_dump crashing
Date: 2016-03-15 16:18:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Matthias Schmitt
<matthias(dot)schmitt(at)mmp(dot)lu> wrote:
> since two weeks I am trying to get PostgreSQL 9.5.1 to run on Debian 8.3. Everything is fine except the daily backup. When calling pg_dump as part of a cron job pg_dump crashes:
>
> 2016-03-15 01:00:02 CETFATAL: semctl(23232524, 3, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument
> 2016-03-15 01:00:02 CETLOG: server process (PID 22279) exited with exit code 1
> [...]
> 4th possible solution: I have read here: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-April/018373.html
> that logging into the postgres user in and out might delete semaphore memory, but I cannot reproduce this.

That's scary, and an entrance for many crashes... Perhaps there are
some underlying calls of ipcrm?

> Interesting enough I have another PostgreSQL version running perfectly under Debian 8.3 on a different machine. This is a PostgreSQL 9.4.1. It uses the same backup mechanism. I hate to consider a downgrade as a possible solution. May be an info, which might be useful: my machine has 64 GB RAM.
>
> Any ideas where to continue my search?

Hm, and both of them are managed with systemd? Are there differences
in each one's spec file, I find rather bad the fact that there is
something removing the semaphores at OS level all-of-a-sudden.
--
Michael