Re: Strange runtime partition pruning behaviour with 11.4

From: Sverre Boschman <s(dot)r(dot)boschman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange runtime partition pruning behaviour with 11.4
Date: 2019-08-13 07:02:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> I stumbled across this question on SO:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56517852
>
> Disregarding the part about Postgres 9.3, the example for Postgres 11
> looks a bit confusing.
>
> There is a script to setup test data in that question:
>
> ==== start of script ====
>
> create table foo (
> foo_id integer not null,
> foo_name varchar(10),
> constraint foo_pkey primary key (foo_id)
> );
>
> insert into foo
> (foo_id, foo_name)
> values
> (1, 'eeny'),
> (2, 'meeny'),
> (3, 'miny'),
> (4, 'moe'),
> (5, 'tiger'),
> (6, 'toe');
>
> create table foo_bar_baz (
> foo_id integer not null,
> bar_id integer not null,
> baz integer not null,
> constraint foo_bar_baz_pkey primary key (foo_id, bar_id, baz),
> constraint foo_bar_baz_fkey1 foreign key (foo_id)
> references foo (foo_id)
> ) partition by range (foo_id)
> ;
>
> create table if not exists foo_bar_baz_0 partition of foo_bar_baz for
> values from (0) to (1);
> create table if not exists foo_bar_baz_1 partition of foo_bar_baz for
> values from (1) to (2);
> create table if not exists foo_bar_baz_2 partition of foo_bar_baz for
> values from (2) to (3);
> create table if not exists foo_bar_baz_3 partition of foo_bar_baz for
> values from (3) to (4);
> create table if not exists foo_bar_baz_4 partition of foo_bar_baz for
> values from (4) to (5);
> create table if not exists foo_bar_baz_5 partition of foo_bar_baz for
> values from (5) to (6);
>
> with foos_and_bars as (
> select ((random() * 4) + 1)::int as foo_id, bar_id::int
> from generate_series(0, 1499) as t(bar_id)
> ), bazzes as (
> select baz::int
> from generate_series(1, 1500) as t(baz)
> )
> insert into foo_bar_baz (foo_id, bar_id, baz)
> select foo_id, bar_id, baz
> from bazzes as bz
> join foos_and_bars as fab on mod(bz.baz, fab.foo_id) = 0;
>
> ==== end of script ====
>
> I see the some strange behaviour similar to to what is reported in the
> comments to that question:
>
> When I run the test query immediately after populating the tables with the
> sample data:
>
> explain analyze
> select count(*)
> from foo_bar_baz as fbb
> join foo on fbb.foo_id = foo.foo_id
> where foo.foo_name = 'eeny'
>
> I do see an "Index Only Scan .... (never executed)" in the plan for the
> irrelevant partitions:
>
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/AqlE
>
> However once I run "analyze foo_bar_baz" (or "vacuum analyze"), Postgres
> [...]
Ran into the same behaviour of the planner. The amount of rows in the
partitions influence the statistics being generated and the statistics in
turn influence the plan chosen.

I managed to force the "correct" plan by manually setting the n_distinct
statistics for the partitioned table.
E.g.: alter table foo_bar_baz alter column foo_id set ( n_distinct=-1,
n_distinct_inherited=-1);

With a certain number of rows in the partitions the analyser sets the
n_distinct value for the partitioned table to the number of unique
partition keys and the n_distinct value
for the individual partitions to number of unique partition keys in that
partition. Unfortunately this causes the planner to pick a plan that
doesn't allow for execution pruning,
resulting in very slow execution times.

Regards,
Sverre