Re: Improving spin-lock implementation on ARM.

From: Krunal Bauskar <krunalbauskar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving spin-lock implementation on ARM.
Date: 2020-12-01 03:25:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 at 02:31, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:00 AM Krunal Bauskar <krunalbauskar(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > 3. Problem with GCC approach is still a lot of distro don't support gcc
> 9.4 as default.
> > To use this approach:
> > * PGSQL will have to roll out its packages using gcc-9.4+ only so
> that they are compatible with all aarch64 machines
> > * but this continues to affect all other users who tend to build
> pgsql using standard distro based compiler. (unless they upgrade compiler).
>
> I think if a user, who runs PostgreSQL on a multicore machine with
> high-concurrent load, can take care about installing the appropriate
> package/using the appropriate compiler (especially if we publish
> explicit instructions for that). In the same way such advanced users
> tune Linux kernel etc.
>
> BTW, how do you get that required gcc version is 9.4? I've managed to
> use LSE with gcc 9.3.

Did they backported it to 9.3?
I am just looking at the gcc guide.
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/changes.html

GCC 9.4Target Specific ChangesAArch64

- The option -moutline-atomics has been added to aid deployment of the
Large System Extensions (LSE)

--
Regards,
Krunal Bauskar