Re: toast useless

From: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: toast useless
Date: 2023-01-31 12:34:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> escreveu:

> On Tue, 13 Sept 2022 at 13:29, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
> >>
> >> What problem do they cause you?
> >

> > They don't cause any problem, I was just trying to get my database as
> clean as possible.
> > I have some thousands of these toast tables with 8k bytes, so I was
> trying to eliminate them
> > But if there is no way, ok
>
> They might be optimized away one day, but for now, they are essential.

When version 16 comes in it´ll be possible to define [1] field STORAGE on
CREATE TABLE step.
I have some thousands of toast files which are completely useless on my
database, so how to remove them.

pg_upgrade ? Those unneeded toast files will be dropped automatically ?
If not, if I do "alter table x alter column y set storage main" then toast
file will still exist ?

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/de83407a-ae3d-a8e1-a788-920eb334f25b(at)sigaev(dot)ru