Re: Undocumented functions

From: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Undocumented functions
Date: 2024-09-09 13:12:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em sáb., 7 de set. de 2024 às 17:18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> escreveu
Functions that are primarily meant to implement operators are normally not
documented separately: we feel it would bloat the
docs without adding a lot

Those two functions, elem_contained_by_range and pg_relation_is_updatable
were only examples of hundreds of functions which are not documented.
The real question here is not for the ones that are used internally because
operators or types need them, I'm talking about those ones which does not
have a way to replace it ?

pg_get_shmem_allocations is cool and is not mentioned on DOC
pg_is_in_backup was mentioned until version 12, then removed. Why, it´s not
used anymore.

This is the question, what functions exist and are useful but are not
documented ?

regards
Marcos

Marcos