Re: Backend memory dump analysis

From: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backend memory dump analysis
Date: 2018-03-23 18:05:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres>The overhead required for it (in cycles, in higher memory usage due
additional bookeeping

Does that mean the memory contexts are unparseable? (there's not enough
information to enumerate contents)

What if memory dump is produced by walking the C structures?
For instance, I assume statament cache is stored in some sort of a hash
table, so there should be a way to enumerate it in a programmatic way. Of
course it would take time, however I do not think it creates cpu/memory
overheads. The overhead is to maintain "walker" code.

Vladimir