Re: Slowness of extended protocol

From: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Slowness of extended protocol
Date: 2016-08-10 17:27:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen> While it may have good results in many cases, it's not accurate to
say that using prepared statements will always be faster than not.

There's no silver bullet. <-- that is accurate, but it is useless for
end-user applications
I've never claimed that "server prepared statement" is a silver bullet.

I just claim that "PrepareBindExecuteDeallocate" message does have
justification from performance point of view.

Stephen Frost> Dropping and recreating the prepared statement is how that
particular issue is addressed.

Stephen,

The original problem is: "extended query execution is slow"
I recommend "let's just add a query cache"
You mention: "that does not work since one query in a year might get slower
on 6th execution"
I ask: "what should be done _instead_ of a query cache?"
You say: "the same query cache, but execute 5 times at most"

Does that mean you agree that "query cache is a way to go"?

I do not follow that. Of course, I could add "yet another debugger switch"
to pgjdbc so it executes server-prepared statements 5 times maximum,
however I do consider it to be a PostgreSQL's issue.
I do not like to hard-code "5" into the driver logic.

I do not like making "5 times maximum" a default mode.

Vladimir