Re: PostgresSQL 9.5.21 very slow to connect and perform basic queries

From: bruno da silva <brunogiovs(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgresSQL 9.5.21 very slow to connect and perform basic queries
Date: 2022-09-06 17:39:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello Guys.

I'd like to report back on this issue as I've been monitoring on this
installation that has very large distinct sqls and I noticed something that
isn't probably new here but I'd like to confirm that again.

So after I reduced the pg_stat_statements.max from 10k to 3k
pgss_query_texts.stat was peaking at a reasonable size of ~450MB and by
monitoring the file size I was able to have a 1min window interval when the
pgss_query_texts.stat gc was happening. but whenever a gc was detected a
bunch of statements would get logged on the pg log as slow statements and
all would report taking around 1s some statements are like "BEGIN",
"COMMIT" then last week I asked for another reduction from 3k to 300
pg_stat_statements.max and those slow statement reports aren't happening
anymore even if pgss_query_texts.stat gc still occurs.

my question is: is it safe to assume that because the gc of
pgss_query_texts.stat requires a global lock this is a limitation of
pg_stat_statements current implementation?

Thanks

--
Bruno da Silva